Monday, May 2, 2016

April 27, 2016

 It has definitely been an interesting week so far. This area is a lot bigger than the last one. We have to switch off between the two parts everyday because it is impossible to work in both during the same day. Part of the area is really poor. I have taught in areas super poor, It just at first makes you feel like there is not much that you can actually do to help. But, I am doing all that I can to teach them the things that actually will help them a lot.  We needed to take a less active man to the hospital for physical therapy. He is paralyzed from the waste down but also has some problems with his arm.  Also, we are starting to enter into the rainy season here and had a couple gnarly storms this week. In classic Dominican style the streets have flooded like crazy during the storms and we have had to walk through deep muddy river streets. In result to the storms (and I don’t know why) there was a big colony of cockroaches hanging out on the wall of our house. There were probably about 50 of them. So what we did is brush them off onto the ground with a broom and hurry and try to smash all of them as they scattered. It ended up being very effective and we were able to eliminate them.  We still do not have a fridge, we haven’t had one the whole week because the other one broke before I arrived here.  The office Elders brought a new one the other day but we can’t plug it in yet because the electrical wiring of the house isn’t good enough to support the fridge, let alone the other things we have to use.  Elder Navarrette is cool and it’s been nice to talk to my comp in English!  There are tons of mosquitos, I have to turn on my fan at night not because it is too hot to sleep, but to protect me from the mosquitos.  I love you all and hope that you have a good week!



Elder Mifflin

No comments:

Post a Comment